World Prematurity Day 2018
Born Too Soon
Every year, an estimated 15 million babies are born preterm (before 37 weeks). Preterm birth complications are the leading cause of death among children under 5 years of age. Across 184 countries, the rate of preterm birth ranges from 5% to 18% of babies born. More than 60% of preterm births occur in Africa and South Asia, but preterm birth is truly a global problem. In the lower-income countries, on average, 12% of babies are born too early compared with 9% in higher-income countries. And in almost all countries, preterm birth rates are increasing.
Nearly 400,000 babies - about 1 in 10 - are born preterm each year. And while the preterm birth rate has been increasing among all racial and ethnic groups, some have been hit harder than others…Now is a pivotal time to do more for those at greatest risk.
Premature infants are at greater risk of long-term complications and death. They require specialized care by a highly skilled team of healthcare professionals. Survival rates for newborns can be improved through training in neonatal resuscitation and by being prepared to respond to these critical events. How can you be better prepared to handle an expected – or unexpected – preterm birth? Practice.
Using simulation training to support your learning objectives, you will be able to practice and implement the safest care practices for premature infants. Laerdal provides a wide range of training solutions to meet your specific needs and help you save the most vulnerable lives.
Premature Birth Training Solutions
Developed in collaboration with the American Academy of Pediatrics, Premature Anne is designed for the training of healthcare professionals in the initiation of proper care and resuscitation of preterm infants.
Developed to meet the key requirements for teaching the initial steps of resuscitation in the first ten minutes of a newborn’s life, NeoNatalie is an effective, cost-efficient tool to enhance your training program.
Infant CPR Anytime
The Infant CPR Anytime Kit contains everything you need to learn the lifesaving skills of infant CPR and infant choking relief in about 20 minutes. The kit can be used to teach family, caregivers, and friends lifesaving skills for high-risk infants.
- March of Dimes. (2018). Fighting premature birth: The prematurity campaign. Retrieved from https://www.marchofdimes.org/mission/prematurity-campaign.aspx
- World Health Organization. (2018). Preterm birth. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/preterm-birth
- March of Dimes. (2018). More babies being born too soon for third year in a row, report shows; March of dimes says trend is an alarming indicator of worsening health of moms and babies in the U.S. Retrieved from https://www.marchofdimes.org/news/more-babies-being-born-too-soon-for-third-year-in-a-row-report-shows-march-of-dimes-says-trend-is-an-alarming-indicator-of-worsening-health-of-moms-and-babies-in-the-u-s.aspx
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018). Preterm birth. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pretermbirth.htm
- March of Dimes. (2017). 2017 premature birth report cards. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pretermbirth.htm
*March of Dimes. (2018). See reference #3.
- McNeil, D.G. (2012). U.S. lags in global measure of premature births. NY Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/health/us-lags-in-global-measure-of-preterm-births.html
- Galvin, G. (2017). Premature births vary greatly by state. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2017-11-06/10-states-with-highest-share-of-premature-births
- March of Dimes. (2015). The impact of premature birth on society. March of Dimes. Retrieved from https://www.marchofdimes.org/mission/the-economic-and-societal-costs.aspx
- World Health Organization. (2018). Preterm births. World Health Organization. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/preterm-birth
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018). Preterm births. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pretermbirth.htm
Martin, N. & Montagne, R. (2017). Black mothers keep dying after giving birth. NPR. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2017/12/07/568948782/black-mothers-keep-dying-after-giving-birth-shalon-irvings-story-explains-why
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018). See reference for quiz question #5.
- March of Dimes. (2018). 2018 premature birth report card. March of Dimes. Retrieved from https://www.marchofdimes.org/materials/PrematureBirthReportCard-United%20States-2018.pdf
- Best Ever Baby. (2018). PreTRM test determines your risk for premature birth. Best Ever Baby. Retrieved from https://besteverbaby.com/pretrm-test-determines-risk-premature-birth/