Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Online is the eLearning portion of the Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED blended learning course and is designed to teach students the cognitive information needed for first aid, CPR, and AED training. Upon completion of the online portion, students must complete hands-on skills session with an AHA BLS or Heartsaver Instructor.
Upon successful completion of both portions of the course, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card, valid for two years.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers
- Describe the key steps in first aid
- Remove protective gloves
- Find the problem
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Control bleeding and bandaging
- Recognize elements of common injuries
- Recognize elements of common illnesses
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
*Child/Infant Module is optional.
- Students have the convenience of completing the course at their own pace at work, home, or wherever Internet access is available
- Can be used for initial or renewal training
- Includes interactive exercises and videos to engage students and provide periodic points of knowledge transference
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation of their key to help reinforce what they have learned
- Includes audio and transcription for any students who may have a hearing or visual disability
- Screen and text-sized options help meet diverse learning needs
- Navigation controls provide students with the flexibility to move easily through content and customize their learning experience
Technical Specifications: Minimum technical requirements are available at https://elearning.heart.org/static/technicalspecs
Intended Audience: Heartsaver courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
Continuing Education Information: Continuing Education Accreditation: General Audience The American Heart Association has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
The American Heart Association is authorized by IACET to offer 0.4 CEUs for this prog